The BIG 94.5 Country wants you to join us at the Walk to END Alzheimer’s, Saturday, June 7th. It will be held at the First Lutheran Church, 1234 Fairlawn Road, in Topeka. This is a NEW location for 2014!
- 9:00 a.m. Festivities Begin
- 9:40 a.m. Kiddie Dash
- 10:00 a.m. Opening Ceremonies
- 10:15 a.m. 1 and 2-mile walks begin
- All-Walker Appreciation Lunch follows
The 2013 NE KS Walk included 550 walkers and raised over $63,000. Help us reach our goal of raising $70,000 with more than 600 walkers attending on June 7th.
There is no registration fee. All walkers are encouraged to fundraise and those raising $100+ will receive a 2014 Walk T-shirt
About the Walk to END Alzheimer’s:
- You are welcome to walk individually or to form a team. Teams are formed by families and friends, businesses, organizations, school groups, neighborhoods, etc.
- The Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s is the largest national event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care, support and research programs.
- The funds raised at the 2014 NE KS Walk support the support services of the local Alzheimer’s Association – Heart of America Chapter. Our local NEKS Regional office is located at 29th & Gage in Topeka.
- The support and educational services of the Chapter are provided free for families dealing with Alzheimer’s and related dementias.
- More about the Chapter can be found at www.alz.org/kansascity or you can contact the local office at 785-271-1844
- Over 5 million Americans are living Alzheimer’s disease.
- Of Americans aged 65 or older, 1 in 9 has Alzheimer’s. 1 in 3 people aged 85 and older has the disease.
- Women in their 60′s are 2 times more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease in the rest of their lives than they are to develop breast cancer.
- Deaths from Alzheimer’s has increased 60% between 2000-2010, while deaths from other major diseases decreased.
- Another American develops Alzheimer’s disease every 67 seconds. In 2050, this will be 33 seconds.